Local newspapers are an important resource for both local history and genealogy research. The Special Collections Center has at least one newspaper title for Davenport from 1841 to the present. We don't hold every title for every possible date but have at least one title for this time period. Indexing for local newspapers has been done in a variety of formats for a variety of time periods
The Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center indexes and archives several general subject newspapers, both local and for selected cities. A portion of this index is available on our primary search page. If you don't find what you are searching for please contact a staff member – some portions of the index have not yet been digitized!
Publications are added to our collections on an irregular basis. Please ask a staff member for information on our newest acquisitions!
Funding for microfilming and the purchase of several of these publications was provided by the Riverfront Development Authority.
These papers are listed in rough chronological order
- Davenport Gazette (August 26, 1841 to January 30, 1887)
- Davenport Daily Democratic Banner (January 2, 1852 – December30, 1853)
- Daily Iowa State Democrat (July 4, 1856 – October 9, 1859)
- Davenport Democrat and Leader (October 11, 1859 – May 1969)
- Davenport Western Weekly (December 9, 1871 – May 4m 1872, some missing)
- Davenport Daily Times (October 1, 1887 – May 1969)
- Davenport Weekly Times (May 28, 1887 – December 1895, 1899)
- Davenport Tribune (January 5, 1888 – September 18, 1895)
- Davenport Daily Leader (October 27, 1891 – June 1903)
- Iowa Reform (In German) (July 1894 – June 22, 1897)
- Davenport Weekly Tribune (January 3, 1895 – September 18, 1895)
- Davenport Weekly Outlook (July 11, 1896 – November 20, 1897)
- Davenport Daily Republican (April 1897 – September 16, 1904)
- Davenport Weekly Republican (April 7, 1897 – March 1904, some year missing)
- Davenport Semi-Weekly Times (January 1900 – December 1901)
- Tri-City Star (September 17, 1904 – January 21, 1905)
- Davenport Morning Star (January 24, 1905 – February 14, 1905)
- Davenport Times-Democrat (June 1969 – March 1975)
- Quad-City Times (March 1975 – present)
- North Scott Press (June 10, 1976 – April 24, 1991, and January 2, 1992 to
- Catholic Messenger (1941-present)
- Leader (1986 to present)
- River City Reader (November 1994 to present)
- Scott County Tribune (October 1933 – September 1943)
- Dewitt Observer (July 1864 - April 1922, with some dates missing)
- Various Muscatine newspapers (various dates - please see a staff member for further
- Des Moines Register (1963 to present)
- New York Times (1927-present)
- Wheatland Gazette (1888-1985)
Please check out our online databases for obituaries, marriage announcements, or the Gazette, or for other articles from the Quad-City Times.
Local Area Cities
- Newspaper Card File: Roughly 1950 to 1991, with gaps and some earlier dates. Articles indexed by subject heading.
- Abstracted Names from the Davenport, Iowa, Democrat and Leader (SC 977.769 Abs): Indexes the names of Scott County residents that appeared in the Davenport Democrat & Leader between 1899 and 1946. The
events indexed are for births, marriage licenses and marriages, deaths and funerals, divorces, guardianship information, adoptions, anniversaries, will and estate announcements, and special events.
- North Scott Press Index(SC977.769 Nor): Indexes Births, Engagements, Marriages, and Deaths for 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, and 1991-1997.
- Card File: 1950-51, assorted 1980s, some earlier dates
- 1899-1946: Abstracted Names Index (see above)
- 1950-1959: Obituary Notices from the Davenport Democrat (SC 977.769 Mar)
- 1990-1999: Obituary Index for the Quad-City Times (SC 977.769 Obi)
- 2000-2004: Obituary Index for theQuad-City Times (SC 977.769 Obi)
- Des Moines Register Index (SC 071 Des) 1982-1987)
- Des Moines Register Index (microfiche) 1987-1992
- Des Moines Register Index (online) 1991 to 1999
- New York Times Index (SC 071 New) 1927 to the present