1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a self-paced program that ends when your child begins kindergarten. You decide how often and how long you read. Celebrate milestones with us at the Library as you make progress toward 1000 books!
Research shows that sharing books, conversations, and songs with young children builds language skills. This type of sharing contributes to children’s healthy development, encourages parent and child bonding, provides skills children need to succeed in school, and helps assure they become lifelong lovers of books.
How it Works
- Register at the Library or online at davenportlibrary.beanstack.com
- Come to the library and check out books to read or read books from home!
- Log your child's progress online with Beanstack or with the paper reading logs available at the Library or on our website (on the left of this page.) Books read during storytime, at daycare, or at preschool also count.
At each milestone, your child will receive a prize:
- 100 books: Storytime at Home kit including a booklet of songs and rhymes, a scarf, and a shaker.
- 250 Books: One new book
- 500 Books: Mini pennant for child’s room and their picture on a special display at the library
- 750 Books: One new book
- 1000 Books: 1000 Books Before Kindergarten t-shirt, the child’s picture on display, and a personalized bookplate honoring their accomplishment inside their favorite library book.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is sponsored by the FRIENDS of the Davenport Public Library.